Traffic Summon Charges in Malaysia
- Exceeding 1 - 20km/h = $130 + 4 demerit points.
- Exceeding 21 - 30km/h = $150 + 6 demerit points.
- Exceeding 31 - 40km/h = $180 + 8 demerit points.
- Exceeding 41 - 50km/h = $200 + 12 demerit points + Court.
- Exceeding 51 - 60km/h = $200 + 18 demerit points + Court.
- Exceeding 61km/h = $200 + 24 demerit points + Court.
If you want to be a hero and fight the court case yourself, and you lose, you pay the court charges yourself, which will add up to your fine. I guess the court charges is at least $200 and above.
- Careless driving = $150 + 6 demerit Points.
- Inconsiderate Driving = $170 + 9 Demerit Points + Court.
- Dangerous Driving = $200 + 24 Demerit Points +! Court + Vehicle Compounded.
- Illegal Racing = $200 + Vehicle Confiscate + Court. Fail to put Seat Belt = $120 + 3 demerit points.
- Crossing Double White lines = $130 + 4 points.
- Phone and Drive = $200 + 12 demerit point + Phone Confiscate.
Do not hold your handphone in your hand when you drive even with loud speaker or ear piece.Drink Driving (first offence.) = Up to $5000 Fine and, or Jail Term + Licence Suspended + Court.
2nd time offence = Jail term + Fine + Court.
Making an illegal U Turn when there's no U Turn sign = $70 .
Fail to Signal when changing lanes = $70 .
Driving at night without headlights or taillights switch on after 7pm = $30 .
No Number Plate = $70. Obstructed Number Plate = $70.
Obscured Number Plate = $70. Number Plate Of Unapproved Type = $70 .
Demerit Point system :
Let's say you have 0 point on 1st January 2005, and you committed the offence of Failing to Put on Seat Belt. So now, you will have 3 demerit points and this will last for 1 Year.
If during this 1 year you have no demerit points offence at all, your 3 demerit points will be gone on 1/1/2006.
But, if during this one year, From 1/1/2005- 1/1/2006, you commited another offence with demerit points, your very first offence will be extended for another year until 1/1/2007.
For more information on demerit points (Kejara) go to http://www.jpj.gov.my/malay/kuatkuasa08.htm